The Smart Predictive Line Controller (SPLC) stabilizes the arc of an electric furnace by dynamically controlling a series reactor installed between the power supply and the electric furnace. The controlled reactor acts as a dynamic spring to stabilize the arc.
The SPLC technology takes advantage of the rapid switching speed of thyristors and advanced predictive computer controls. The equipment consists of a three-phase, high voltage thyristor switch that is operated in parallel with a series reactor.
Through an innovative software program that anticipates arc behavior, the SPLC controls the thyristor switch to deliver a fast compensating response, which dramatically improves arc stability. The SPLC essentially cancels the impedance fluctuations of the arc by controlling the primary reactor in opposition.
- Stabilized furnace power
- Eliminated furnace power upswings releasing power plant excess capacity
- Higher furnace productivity
- Increased furnace and power plant efficiency
- Lower electrode consumption and equipment maintenance
- Highly reduced number of furnace trips
- Stabilized furnace current and reduction of light flicker levels