The Innovators: Hatch uses EDI, 3D to slash structural-steel schedule
A major client saw a major-expansion project schedule slashed by four-to-eight weeks through Hatch's use of EDI and Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) during the structural-steel design. Paper drawings were removed from the design and detailing process. Pipe, architectural, electrical and mechanical systems were designed simultaneously to help plot out the structural steel frame.
"By cutting out 2D engineering drawings, we eliminated 20 percent of the conceptual work," says Hatch Senior Engineer Timothy Kaiser.
Adds Detailing Manager Ivan Jivkov, "Our time was spent on perfecting the model and checking accuracy. By eliminating the drafting process, the steel design process was faster and error-free."
The structural design model was completed at Hatch Pittsburgh and then forwarded to Hatch Montreal for detailing. The model was first exported to Design Data's SDS/2 detailing package, which automated 80 percent of the steel connections, leaving 20 percent for the detailers to connect manually. Using another software package, Hatch detailers tested for interferences against plant mechanicals, and made the necessary adjustments.
When the first shipments of steel arrived at the plant, there was no concrete foundation in place to receive it.
The steel was well ahead of schedule.